Research Scientist, Ecology Department, Earth Sciences Division Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
• PhD in Microbiology, University of California at Berkeley, 2005
• Master of Science in Life Sciences, University of Mumbai (Bombay), India, 1997
• Bachelor of Science in Microbiology, University of Bombay, India, 1995
• Research Scientist. April 2012-current, Ecology Dept., LBNL
• Scientific and Engineering Associate. Sept 2008- Mar2012. Ecology Dept., LBNL.
• Post Doctoral Scholar. August 2005- Aug 2008. Ecology Department, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab.
• Post Doctoral Researcher. February 2005 – August 2005. Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, University of California at Berkeley.
• Associate Faculty Member, Faculty of 1000 Biology
• American Society of Microbiology
• International Society for Microbial Ecology
• American Geophysical Union
• Session Chair, AGU Fall meeting, San Francisco, Dec 2008: Geochemical Controls and Microbial Response in Metal-Contaminated Environments II.
• Session Chair, ASM 110th General meeting, San Diego, May 2010: Causes of complexity in microbial stress response: the role of evolution, memory, stochasticity and physiological state.
• Session Chair, AGU Fall meeting, San Francisco, Dec 2012: Biogeochemistry of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill.
• Environmental Microbiology
• Environmental Science and Technology
• Frontiers in Microbial Biotechnology
• FEMS Microbiology
• Microbial Biotechnology
Researcher ID: D-9230-2015
ORCID ID: orcid.org/0000-0001-9326-554X
- Carbon Cycling
- Environmental Geochemistry and Biogeochemical Cycling
- Microbial Metabolic Diversity
- Microbiology: Ecology, Physiology, Metabolism, and Genomics
- Plant-Microbe Interactions
Current N-related Projects:
- Identification of novel microbes and microbial function
- Effect of Climate change on rhizosphere
- Plant-microbe interactions
Coates J.D, Chakraborty R, Lack, J.G, O’Connor, S.M, Cole, K.A, Bender K.S, and Achenbach, L.A. (2001) Anaerobic benzene oxidation coupled to nitrate reduction in pure culture by two novel organisms. Nature 411:1039-1043.
Thorgersen M.P, Lancaster W.A, Vaccaro B.J, Poole F.P, Rocha A.M, Mehlhorn T, Pettenato A, Chakraborty R, Hazen T.C, Deutschbauer A.M, Arkin A.P, Adams M.W.W (2015). Molybdenum Availability is Key to Nitrate Removal in Contaminated Groundwater Environments. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. doi: 10.1128/AEM.00917-15
Schicklberger M, Shapiro N.R, Loqué D, Woyke T, Chakraborty R (2015). Draft Genome Sequence of Raoultella terrigena R1Gly, a Diazotrophic Endophyte. Genome Announc. May/June 2015 vol. 3 no. 3 e00607-15