I am a Professor at Nanjing Agricultural University. My work focuses on the physiology and molecular genetics of plant adaption to altered availability of major nutrients and salt stress.
- Plant mineral nutrition
Current N-related Projects:
- Improving crop N use efficiency
1. Guohua Xu*. 2017. Sensing and transport of nutrients in plants. Seminars in Cell & Developmental Biology doi: 10.1016/j.semcdb.2017.09.020
2. Xuan W, Beeckman T, Xu GH*. 2017. Plant nitrogen nutrition: sensing and signaling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 39, 57-65.
3. Chen AQ, Gu M, Wang SS, Chen J, Xu GH*. 2017. Transport properties and regulatory roles of nitrogen in arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis. Seminars in Cell & Developmental Biology doi: 10.1016/j.semcdb.
4. Feng HM, Li B, Zhi Y, Chen J, Li R, Xia XD, Xu GH, Fan XR. 2017. Overexpression of the nitrate transporter, OsNRT2.3b, improves rice phosphorus uptake and translocation. Plant Cell Reports doi: 10.1007/s00299-017-2153-9.
5. Guo H, Zhou H, Zhang J, Guan W, Xu S, Shen W, Xu GH, Xie Y, Foyer C. 2017. L -cysteine desulfhydrase-related H2 S production is involved in OsSE5-promoted ammonium tolerance in roots of Oryza sativa. Plant, Cell & Environment DOI:10.1111/pce.12982
6. Chen J, Fan XR, Qian K, Zhang Y, Song M, Liu Y, Xu GH, Fan XR. 2017. pOsNAR2.1:OsNAR2.1 expression enhances nitrogen uptake efficiency and grain yield in transgenic rice plants. Plant Biotechnology Journal DOI: 10.1111/pbi.12714.
7. Fan XR; Naz M; Fan XR; Xuan W; Miller AJ; Xu GH* 2017. Plant nitrate transporters: from gene function to application. Journal of Experimental Botany DOI:10.1093/jxb/erx011.
8. Sun, Huwei; Tao, Jinyuan; Zhao, Quanzhi; Xu, Guohua; Zhang, Yali. 2017. Multiple roles of nitric oxide in root development and nitrogen uptake. Plant Signaling & Behavior 12(1): e1274480．
9. Gao CM, Ding L, Li YR, Chen YP, Zhu JW, Gu M, Li Y, Xu GH, Shen QR, Guo SW. 2017. Nitrate increases ethylene production and aerenchyma formation in roots of lowland rice plants under water stress. Functional Plant Biology 44: 430-442.
10. Li C, Tang Z, Wei J, Qu HY, Xie YJ, Xu GH*. 2016. The OsAMT1.1 gene functions in ammonium uptake and ammonium-potassium homeostasis over low and high ammonium concentration ranges. Journal of Genetics and Genomics 43(11): 639-649.
11. Fan XR, Tang Z, Tan YW, Zhang Y, Luo BB, Yang M, Lian XM, Shen QR, Miller AJ, Xu GH*. 2016. Overexpression of a pH-sensitive nitrate transporter in rice increases crop yields. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 113 (26), 7118-7123.
12. Chen JG, Zhang Y, Tan YW, Zhang M, Zhu LL, Xu GH, Fan XR. 2016. Agronomic nitrogen-use efficiency of rice can be increased by driving OsNRT2.1 expression with the OsNAR2.1 promoter. Plant Biotechnology Journal 14(8):1705-15.
13. Sun HW, Bi Y, Tao JY, Huang SJ, Hou MM, Xue R, Ling ZH, Gu PY, Yoneyama K, Xie XN, Shen QR, XU GH, Zhang YL. 2016. Strigolactones are required for nitric oxide to induce root elongation in response to nitrogen- and phosphate-deficiency in rice. Plant Cell & Environment 39: 1473-84.
14. Wang HD, Sun R, Cao Y, Pei WX, Sun YF, Zhou HM, Wu XN, Zhang F, Luo L, Shen QR, Xu GH, Sun SB. 2015. OsSIZ1, a SUMO E3 Ligase Gene, is Involved in the Regulation of the Responses to Phosphate and Nitrogen in Rice. Plant & Cell Physiology 56(12):2381-95.
15. Zhu J, Liang J, Xu Z, Fan X, Zhou Q, Shen Q, Xu G. 2015. Root aeration improves growth and N accumulation in rice seedlings under low nitrogen. AoB Plants. pii: plv131. doi: 10.1093/aobpla/plv131.
16. Huang SJ, Chen S, Liang Z, Zhang CM, Yan M, Chen JG, XU GH, Fan X, Zhang YL. 2015. Knockdown of the partner protein OsNAR2.1 for high-affinity nitrate transport represses lateral root formation in a nitrate-dependent manner. Scientific Reports. 5:18192. doi: 10.1038/srep18192.
17. Lei Ding, Limin Gao, Wei Liu, Min Wang, Mian Gu, Binbin Ren, Guohua Xu, Qirong Shen, Shiwei Guo. 2015. Aquaporin plays an important role in mediating chloroplastic CO2 concentration under high-N supply in rice (Oryza sativa) plants. Physiologia Plantarum 156: 215-226.
18. Xiaorong Fan, Huimin Feng, Yawen Tan, Yanling Xu, Qisong Miao, Guohua Xu. 2015. A putative 6 trans-membrane nitrate transporter OsNRT1.1b plays a key role in rice under low nitrogen. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology. 58(6): 590-599.
19. Xiaoqin Liu, Huimin Feng, Daimin Huang, Miaoquan Song, Xiaorong Fan, Guohua Xu*. 2015. Two short sequences in OsNAR2.1 promoter are necessary for fully activating the nitrate induced gene expression in rice roots. Scientific Reports. 5:11950 | DOI: 10.1038/srep11950.
20. Huwei Sun, Jiao Li, Wenjing Song, Jinyuan Tao, Shuangjie Huang, Si Chen, Mengmeng Hou, Guohua Xu and Yali Zhang. 2015. Nitric oxide generated by nitrate reductase increases nitrogen uptake capacity by inducing lateral root formation and inorganic nitrogen uptake under partial nitrate nutrition in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 66(9): 2449-2459.
21. Ding L., Gao C., Li Y., Li Y., Zhu Y., Xu G., Shen Q., Kaldenhoff R., Kai L. & Guo S. (2015) The enhanced drought tolerance of rice plants under ammonium is related to aquaporin (AQP). Plant Science 234, 14-21.
22. Xiudong Xia, Xiaorong Fan, Jia Wei, Huimin Feng, Hongye Qu, Dan Xie, Anthony J Miller, Guohua Xu* (2014) Rice Nitrate Transporter OsNPF2.4 Functions in Low Affinity Acquisition and Long Distance Transport. Journal of Experimental Botany 66 (1), 317-331.
23. Liu X, Huang D, Tao J, Miller AJ, Fan X, Xu G. (2014) Identification and functional assay of the interaction motifs in the partner protein OsNAR2.1 of the two-component system for high-affinity nitrate transport. New Phytologist 204(1):74-80.
24. Xie YJ, Mao Y, Xu S, Zhou H, Duan XL, Cui W, Zhang J, Xu GH*. (2014) Heme-heme oxygenase1 system is involved in ammonium tolerance by regulating antioxidant defense in Oryza sativa. Plant Cell and Environment 38 (1), 129-143.
25. Xiaorong Fan, Dan Xie, Jingguang Chen, Haiyan Lu, Yanling Xu, Cui Ma, Guohua Xu. (2014) Over-expression of OsPTR6 in rice increased plant growth at different nitrogen supplies but decreased nitrogen use efficiency at high ammonium supply. Plant Science 384 (1-2), 259-270.
26. Wang M, Shen Q, Xu GH, Guo S. 2014. New insight into the strategy for nitrogen metabolism in plant cells. International Review of Cell and Molecular Biology. 310:1-37.
27. Sun HW, Tao JY, Liu SJ, Huang SJ, Chen S, Xie XN, Yoneyama K, Zhang YL, XU GH (2014) Strigolactones are involved in phosphate and nitrate deficiency-induced root development and auxin transport in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 65 (22), 6735-6746.
28. Feng HM, Xia XD, Fan XR, Xu GH, Miller AJ. (2013) Optimizing plant transporter expression in Xenopus oocytes. Plant Methods 9:48.
29. Song WJ, Li J, Sun HW, Huang SJ, GOng XP, Ma QY, Zhang YL, Xu GH. 2013. Increased photosynthetic capacity in response to nitrate is correlated with enhanced cytokinin levels in rice cultivar with high responsiveness to nitrogen nutrients. Plant and Soil 373: 981-993.
30. Song W, Sun H, Li J, Gong X, Huang S, Zhu X, Zhang Y, Xu G. (2013) Auxin distribution is differentially affected by nitrate in roots of two rice cultivars differing in responsiveness to nitrogen. Annals of Botany. 112(7): 1383-93.
31. Yong Li, Binbin Ren, Xiuxia Yang, Guohua Xu, Qirong Shen and Shiwei Guo. (2012) Chloroplast Downsizing Under Nitrate Nutrition Restrained Mesophyll Conductance and Photosynthesis in Rice (Oryza sativa L.) Under Drought Conditions. Plant Cell Physiol 53: 892-900.
32. Zhong Tang, Xiaorong Fan, Qing Li, Huimin Feng, Anthony J. Miller, Qirong Shen, Guohua Xu* (2012) Knock Down of a Rice Stelar Nitrate Transporter Alters Long Distance Translocation but not Root Influx. Plant Physiology 160:2052-2063.
33. Zeng HQ, Liu G, Kinoshita T, Zhang RP, Zhu YY, Shen QR, Xu GH. 2012. Stimulation of phosphorus uptake by ammonium nutrition involves plasma membrane H+ ATPase in rice roots. Plant and Soil 357: 205-214.
34. Xu GH*, Fan XR, Miller AJ. 2012. Plant Nitrogen Assimilation and Use Efficiency. Annual Review of Plant Biology 63: 153-182.
35. Wu P, Xu GH, Lian X. 2012. Nitrogen and phosphorus uptake and utilization. Genetics and Genomics of Rice. Plant Genetics and Genomics: Crops and Models. 5: 217-226.
36. Huiming Feng, Xiaorong Fan, Ming Yan, Xiaoqin Liu, Anthony J. Miller and Guohua Xu*. 2011. Multiple roles of nitrate transport accessory protein NAR2 in plants. Plant Signaling & Behavior 6(9):1-4.
37. Yan M, Fan XR, Feng HM, Miller AJ, Shen QR, Xu GH*. 2011. Rice OsNAR2.1 interacts with OsNRT2.1, OsNRT2.2 and OsNRT2.3a nitrate transporters to provide uptake over high and low concentration ranges. Plant Cell and Environment. 34:1360-1372.
38. Huimin Feng, Ming Yan, Xiaorong Fan, Baozhen Li, Qirong Shen, Anthony J Miller, Guohua Xu*. 2011. Spatial expression and regulation of rice high-affinity nitrate transporters by nitrogen and carbon status. Journal of Experimental Botany 62 (7):2319-2332.
39. Song WJ, Makeen K, Wang DS, Zhang CM, Xu YH, Zhao H, Tu E, Zhang YL, Shen QR, Xu GH. 2011. Nitrate supply affects root growth differentially in two rice cultivars differing in nitrogen use efficiency. Plant and Soil 343(1&2):357-368.
40. Miller AJ, Shen QR, Xu GH. 2009. Freeways in the plant: transporters for N, P and S and their regulation. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 284-290.
41. Zhu Y, DI T, Xu G, Chen X, Zeng H, Yan F, Shen Q. 2009. Adaptation of plasma membrane H+-ATPase of rice roots to low pH as related to ammonium nutrition. Plant Cell and Environment. 32(10): 1428-1440.
42. Yuefeng Li, Wei Ran, Ruiping Zhang, Guohua Xu*. 2009. Facilitated mycorrhizal colonization, legume nodulation, phosphate uptake and nitrogen transfer in a mycorrhizal upland rice and mungbean by intercrop. Plant and Soil 315: 285-296.
43. Cao, Y., Fan, X. R., Sun, S. B., Xu, G. H., Hu, J. and Shen, Q. R. 2008. Effect of nitrate on activities and transcript levels of nitrate reductase and glutamine synthetase in rice. Pedosphere. 18(5): 664–673.
44. Y. Duan, Y. Zhang, L. Ye, X. Fan, G. Xu, Q. Shen 2007. Responses of Rice Cultivars with Different Nitrogen Use Efficiency to Partial Nitrate Nutrition. Annals of Botany 99(6): 1153-1160.
45. Baozhen Li, Weijie Xin, Shubin Sun, Guohua Xu*. 2006. Physiological and Molecular Responses of Nitrogen-Starved Rice Plants to Re-supply of Different Nitrogen Sources. Plant and Soil. 287:145-159.
46. Yan X, Wu P, Ling H, Xu G, Xu F, Zhang Q. 2006. Plant Nutriomics in China: An Overview. Annals of Botany 98: 473-482.
47. Xiaoqin Qian, Qirong Shen, Guohua Xu*. Juanjuan Wang and Mingyao Zhou. 2004. Nitrogen form effects on yield and nitrogen uptake of rice crop grown in aerobic soil. J Plant Nutr. 27: 1061-1076.
48. Silber A., Xu G., Levkovitch I., Soriano S., Bilu A., Wallach R. 2003. High fertigation frequency: the effects on uptake of nutrients, water and plant growth. Plant and Soil 253: 467 – 477.
49. Guohua Xu* and Uzi Kafkafi. 2003. Seasonal differences in mineral contents, distribution and leakage of sweet pepper seeds. Annals of Applied Biology 143 (1): 45-52.
50. Guohua Xu*, Uzi Kafkafi, Shmuel Wolf, and Yukihiro Sugimoto. 2002. Mother plant nutrition and growing condition affect amino and fatty acids composition of hybrid sweet pepper seeds. J. Plant Nutr. 25 (7): 1645 – 1665.
51. Guohua Xu*, Shmuel Wolf, and Uzi Kafkafi. 2002. Ammonium on Potassium Interaction in Sweet Pepper. J. Plant Nutr. 25: 719-734.
52. Guohua Xu, Shmuel. Wolf, and Uzi Kafkafi. 2001. Interaction of nutrient concentration and container volume on flowering, fruiting, and nutrient uptake of sweet pepper. J. Plant Nutr. 24: 479-501.
53. Guohua Xu* and Uzi Kafkafi. 2001. Nutrient supply and container size effects on flowering, fruiting assimilate allocation, and water relations of sweet pepper. Acta Horticulture 554: 113-120.
54. Guohua Xu*, Shmuel Wolf, and Uzi Kafkafi. 2001. Effect of varying nitrogen form and concentration during growing season on sweet pepper flowering and fruit yield. J. Plant Nutr. 24: 1099-1116.